June marks the beginning of summer - when sun, sand and water abound. It’s a time of rejuvenation and growth, when fresh vegetables are plentiful and eating light is easy, it’s the perfect time to shake off the winter doldrums and get active. It’s the perfect month for employers to motivate their employees to get healthy by celebrating National Employee Wellness Month!
The first National Wellness Month kicked off in June of 2009 by Virgin Pulse, a division of Virgin Group, and the Strategies to Overcome and Prevent (STOP) Obesity Alliance as a means to encourage employers to promote a healthy lifestyle through activities and events for employees.
Fewer claims = lower insurance rates
A healthier workforce leads to a healthier company, and an improved society. A significant percentage of healthcare costs are due to preventable or manageable conditions, and having a healthier workforce also drives down insurance rates.
Ways to get involved:
Workplace wellness ideas:
- Organize daily or weekly wellness walks with coworkers
- Participate in community events involving outdoor activities, such as walk-a-thons
- Organize a healthy living recipe contest
- Contact local gyms and inquire about corporate discounts
- Add healthy choices to vending machines
- Promote a smoke-free workplace
- Offer flu vaccine clinics or time off for employees to get vaccinated
Ways to work healthy:
- Pack a brown bag lunch throughout June
- Walk the stairs instead of taking the elevator
- Replace soft drinks with water
- Take stretch breaks
- Wash hands frequently and cover your mouth when you cough
We want your feedback!
Please take a moment and take our short Learning Center survey. Click here to take the survey.